ELECTRIC VEHICLE & MOTORSPORT DEVELOPMENT
ELECTRIC/HYBRID FOR RACE & ROAD
CUTTING EDGE EV AND
ROAD AND RACE SUCCESS
Zytek has been developing high-performance technology for the motorsport industry and road vehicles since 1981, particularly high-performance electrification and hybrid solutions.
We have enjoyed numerous industry firsts such as:
- First Daimler Smart production electric vehicle.
- First hybrid system to win its class in IMSA endurance racing.
- First hybrid to be developed for production outside Japan.
- First hybrid system to win a race in Formula 1.
- First Daimler Smart electric vehicle to complete worldwide certification.
- First battery hybrid system to win a motorsport championship outside Formula 1.
- First electric system to win a competitive championship in Formula E (drivers and manufacturers).
FROM CONCEPT TO TRACK/ROAD
TURNKEY AUTOMOTIVE AND MOTORSPORT DEVELOPMENT
Our cutting edge engineering design studio will help you bring your concept to life:
- Electronic – as shown by the design and manufacture of the first digital, re-programmable, microprocessor-controlled engine management system to be used in Formula 1 (with Ayrton Senna), Zytek have a demonstrable track record as pioneers of electronics in motorsport and roadcar applications.
- Mechanical – from product design to whole vehicle integration, Zytek has all the capabilities required for a turnkey vehicle build programme.
- Concept Vehicles – from an electric single-seater concept with individual wheel motors 20 years before the first season of Formula E, to breaking electric vehicle lap records at the Nürburgring, via designing the electric drive system for the Gordon Murray T.27 powertrain (the world’s most efficient electric car), whatever the challenge, Zytek can provide solutions.
- Motors – Zytek can supply either off the shelf, or custom-designed electric machines, tailored to the requirements of a particular project. Should customers require ultimate power density, high efficiency, or with a focus on cost-effective solutions, Zytek can provide electric machine solutions for a wide range of hybrid and electric vehicles.
APPLICATIONS ENGINEERING – Zytek can provide in-depth technical expertise and support services to ensure the correct application of technology to meet vehicle level targets and therefore achieve the required results.
TESTING – Zytek can offer dedicated in-house testing facilities and an experienced team create an environment to test and validate electric systems before they are fitted to end vehicles.
MANUFACTURING – whilst most manufacturing of mechanical assemblies is performed by a close network of specialist partners, Zytek have a range of CNC and welding centres in-house that are utilised full time for tasks where turnaround time is imperative.
INNOVATION – areas of note:
- Motorsport Electronic Systems – Zytek has been developing electronic systems for use in motorsport since 1981, including a range of engine control units, gear shift and clutch control units, battery management systems and wiring harnesses.
- Electric Vehicles – from creating our first electric sports car in 1994 to full authority torque-vectoring electric drive units for sportscars, Zytek has been creating electric drive systems for over 27 years.
- Hybrid Systems – since creating the first hybrid system for use in top-level endurance racing in 1998, Zytek has been seen as the first stop when customers share our vision of winning races through technology innovation.
AUTOMOTIVE ENGINEERING SERVICES
Specialising in the development of high performance vehicles, from race to road. Offering the full range of motorsport engineering services for your motorsport or road or electric vehicle project, from concept,
to manufacture, to track/road testing, support, and servicing.
Areas of expertise include:
In-house/track testing facilities and our dedicated team creates the environment to develop highest quality solutions in the quickest time.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
The process of designing, manufacturing, project management, and testing new race car components (and complete vehicles) for high-performance race competition.
We can specifically help you with all aspects relating to vehicle electrification.
Our top motorsport successes include the development of the highest specification motorsport technology as described in the following case studies:
- Formula 1: we developed a KERS system for Mercedes for the 2009 F1 season; with 100% reliability under race conditions, it was the only KERS system to enjoy two race wins.
- Formula E: we developed a motor and inverter system for a leading team over three seasons, achieving 16 race wins and 4 out of 6 drivers and manufacturers’ championships.
- Super GT racing: we developed an energy recovery system which boasts the first hybrid championship win outside of Formula 1, and was used in Super GT racing for many years.
Yes, we have a rich history of working with both OEMs and the top auto designers, such as:
- Audi – the R8 e-tron electric car which appeared in the Iron Man movie franchise.
- Gordon Murray Design – the T.27 (the world’s most efficient electric car).
- Daimler – on the Smart Fortwos electrification project.
- Jaguar Land Rover – the Land Rover Xj_e & Range Rover E electrification projects.
For more information see our case studies page.
Zytek are specialist in advanced motorsport engineering with a huge amount of practical experience:
- From the ground-breaking Gordon Murray T.27 powertrain.
- To the electric single-seater concept with individual wheel motors 20 years before the first season of Formula E.
We have a long and rich history of developing electric vehicles.
We can help you at all stages of the EV engineering process, from design, testing, manufacture and assembly, applications engineering, and on-site/event support.
For more information see our vehicle electrification page.
Yes, we have a rich history of EV race vehicle engineering development.
From the motor and inverter that achieved 16 race wins, plus 4 out of 6 drivers and manufacturers championships, to our DCDC Converter which ran faultlessly for over 2 seasons, we also have a rich history of EV development for Formula E.
For more information see our Formula E case study.